Attorneys often ask me if they should start a blog. Here are 9 reasons why attorneys should have blogs and tips for getting started.
- Blogs work! They have a proven track record of bringing in business. Chicago attorney R. David Donoghue of Holland and Knight, publisher of both the Chicago IP Litigation Blog and the Retail Patent Litigation blogs, is quoted on Mashable as saying,“While it took time for my blogs to begin generating business, over time they have helped generate significant patent litigation matters.”
- Blogs establish thought leadership. A blog can help an attorney gain credibility in a particular subject area. According to a recent survey by Greentarget, 87% of in-house counsel perceive blogs as credible and 67% of respondents say they attribute some level of importance to a lawyer’s blog when deciding which firms to retain. Read the full survey here.
After reading these 9 reasons why attorneys should have blogs, you may be ready to start your blog today. Before you start your blog, realize that it is a time commitment and will take months/years to generate new business. If you are still ready to pursue blogging, start by identifying:
- Who your target audience is.
- What you will write about.
- Who will write the posts. Will it be just you or are there others in your firm that will help?
- How often will you post. Once a week or once month?
- How you will promote your blog.